Dr. Kulbhushan Juneja
emerging as one of the major cause of death in adults which is a result of
changing life style and dietary pattern.
- Half of the deaths in India are likely to be caused by CAD (Coronary Artery Disease).
- CAD is the single largest killer of men and women in United States and rest of the world.
What is CAD (Coronary Artery Disease)?
CAD occurs when the arteries supplying blood to the heart are hardened and narrowed due to formation of plague on the inner wall of artery which is also called atherosclerosis. As this plague will increase in size, results in more narrowing of the vessel and eventually the blood supply to the heart will be reduced due to which the muscles of the heart will be reduced due to which the muscles of the heart are not able to receive the amount of the oxygen needed which is present in the blood.
Signs and symptoms of CAD
The most common symptoms are:-
- Chest pain and chest discomforts.
- Pain in the arm, shoulder, neck and back.
- Shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing.
In some people, the first sign of CAD is a heart attack.
Heart Attack (Myocardial Infraction)
A heart attack happens due to development of a clot at the site of plaque in coronary artery, due to which supply of oxygen rich blood to the heart will cut off and the muscles of the heart will not receive oxygen and eventually that muscle or the part of the heart will die which cause permanent damage to heart muscle.
How it will be diagnosed?
Blood test: leucocytosis is reaching a peak on first day. ESR raised for several days.
Electrocardiogram: ECG is sensitive and specific way of conforming the diagnosis.
- Signs of vagal infection: vomiting and bradycardia
- Signs of impared myocardial function: Hypotension, narrow pulse pressure, quiet first heart sound, audible third heart sound.
Risk Factor :- Obesity: excess weight increases the load on the heart.
- Diabetes: heart problems are the leading cause of death among people with diabetes.
- Heredity: heart disease has the tendency to run in families. Incase there is a history of heart problems then its risky and early management should be done.
- Smoking and alcohol: heavy drinking cause hypertension and smoking is also dangerous causing ischemic heart disease.
- Atherosclerosis: in this fats or other waxy substances get deposited on the inner wall of the artery which narrows the passage of the blood to the heart ultimately leading to heart attack and congestive cardiac failure.
- Age factor: as the persons get older, the risk increases in the men after the age of 45 and in women’s after the age of 55.
- Hypercholesterolemia: high cholesterol level in blood and and particularly LDL (Low Density Lypoprotein) is associated with increased risk of various problems like coronary heart disease (CHD) and stroke (heart attack).
There are certain foods that are very good for heart such as
Garlic: it prevents blood from becoming over sticky, decreases LDL cholesterol and increases the good HDL cholesterol. Eating garlic is good against arthroscleorosis. Vitamin C in garlic protects against oxidation of LDL cholesterol. Cooked garlic can benefit, but raw garlic is more potent and works faster.
Ginger: It helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels and presents LDL oxidation.
Vegetables: All vegetables are good for heart, but those with lutein and carotene are best.
Spinache: It helps lowering the blood pressure and protects against heart diseases, but as they contain high amount of oxalates shouldn’t be taken more than twice a day.
Tomatoes: Cooked and processed tomatoes are just as beneficial as fresh ones. Vitamin B6, niacin, potassium, and folate are abundant in tomatoes and are potent protectors against heart disease.
Onions: eating only half a raw onion a day raises HDL by about 25 per cent in many people.
Fruits: fruits are also very good for keeping the heart healthy.
Apples: eating two apples a day is beneficial. These lower the risk of heart disease and stroke and maintain the healthy cholesterol level.
Red grapes: they support the heart cells and helps maintain the blood vessel tone.
Fish: its always been a heart friendly food. Eating fish at least twice a week could reduce the risk of heart disease.
Some of the very effective homoeopathic medicines:-
Palpitation, angina pectoris, heart weakness in arteriosclerosis, low B.P.
Throbbing pain in the heart region, dysponia on physical exertion, headache, swelling on face and legs
Cardiac dropsy, dysponia on least exertion, first heart sound weak, murmur
Endocarditis,palpitation on least exertion
Cardiac muscle failure, great weakness, coldness of skin, cardiac irritability after tabacoo
Fluttering of heart with anxiety, slow pulse, hearts action tumultuous, rapid and visible
Chronic degeneration of cardiac muscle, intense palpitation.
Congestive headache, hypertension with atheromatous changes in blood vessels.
Pulse is irregular, patient faints and gives up hope of life, vertigo, suffocation, weakness and pain in heart.
DR. (Mrs.) Renu Juneja
Bhushan Homoeopathic Clinic
Kanwal Cinema Road
Near Railway Station
BATHINDA (Pb.) 151005
Ph.(C) 2250332,3091231(R) 2250434