Prevention of Infertility
Dr. Mrs. Asha P. Chandak
Some cases of male
infertility may be avoided by doing the following:
Some cases of female infertility may be prevented by
taking the following steps:
- Avoid excessive exercise.
- Avoid smoking.
- Control diseases such as diabetes and hypothyroidism
- Eat a well balanced nutritious diet with plenty of
fresh fruits and vegetables (plenty of folates).
- Follow good weight management guidelines.
- Practice safer sex to avoid sexually transmitted
- Get early treatment for sexually transmitted diseases.
- Have regular physical examinations (including pap
smears) to detect early signs of infections or abnormalities.
- Limit caffeine and alcohol intake.
- Ask your mother (biological) to share any unusual or
abnormal issues she had related to conceiving. For example, premature
menopause in your mother can be genetic and passed on to you, which limits the
years in which you will have optimal egg quality.
- Fertility starts declining after age 27 and drops at a
somewhat greater rate after age 35 It should be noted, however, that fertility
does not ultimately cease before menopause.